Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Day of Blessings

Today (Tuesday) was a really good day. Mark had probably the best night sleep since we got here, with the exception of the "4 am stand up so we can weigh you". He also slept on and off until about 1:00 when we were blessed with some visitors.

The music minister, youth minister, and our deacon from our church. They offered laughter and brought some joy to our day. They are such wonderful men and aching to serve us in any way possible. They were quickly joined by Mark's mom's deacon and a fellow church member named Randall. They were all truly a blessing. It is so encouraging and re-energizing to be surrounded by godly men claiming God's power and control during situations like right now. Randall was a special blessing to Mark and I because he was in this exact unit, just down the hall from Mark's room a couple of years ago. Randall was diagnosed with AML and received treatment here. He has now been in remission for 2 years if I remember correctly. He was a great encouragement to Mark because he literally knows exactly how Mark feels right now. He knows the fear, pain, and sickness Mark is experiencing right now. He spoke about the wonderful care he received here, and it was so encouraging to speak with someone who knew exactly who we were talking about when we mentioned specific doctors, nurses, and techs. The most encouraging thing Randall said, which Mark really needed to hear, was to keep a positive attitude, do what the doctors say, and trust God to bring him through this time. It gets difficult at times to keep a positive attitude when you feel so sick and helpless like Mark feels right now. Randall helped Mark to get an inside opinion on the importance of staying focused and positive. The visit closed with a fantastic prayer from our deacon that brought tears to our eyes (and the eyes of our sweet nurse who was tending to Mark at the time). The visit was certainly a gift from God because the encouraging words were exactly what Mark and I needed to hear today.

After the visit, Mark ate 3 entire chicken fingers at lunch, walked 4 laps, and at almost his entire cheeseburger at dinner. These are all signs that he feels good today. His mom came by to visit and bring us some freshly washed clothes and some pictures she printed from our trip to Panama City just days before the diagnosis. The pictures are precious and I already cherish them. Brodie was adorable and had such a wonderful time. We all had a great time, and I look forward to the next family vacation we take as soon as Mark is allowed to travel. That family time is crucial, and I know I took it for granted. I will most likely take it for granted again once this trial is over, but I pray I appreciate the time more often than I take it for granted. I am blessed to have my precious family, and I will hold on to them tighter now than ever before. They keep me going and I love both my boys.

Thank you Jesus for all the blessings in my life right now. I find comfort in knowing you are controlling everything and you will take care of us at all times. Thank you for my friends and family, and the blessings they bring to my life everyday. I pray for a good day tomorrow and each day to follow. Amen.

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment